“Google will now start indexing mobile-friendly websites first. If your site is not mobile-friendly, please take steps to ensure that it is, otherwise, you will experience a decrease in SEO.
Secondly, it’s important to understand how people search on mobile. It usually happens in one of three ways:
1. Search directly for your business name – if they know you.
2. “Things to do/activities in…” – 6X increase according to google.
3. “Near me” – 6X increase according to google.
Why is this important? In a recent study by Greenberg, Inc. to better understand traveller behaviour across the U.S, U.K, France, and Germany, they found the following:
– “12 weeks leading up to a trip, there are 3X more experience searches than hotel searches and 8X more experience searches than air searches.”
– “Travelers who book their activities ahead of their trip spend 47% more on lodging and 81% more on transportation than those who wait to book in destination.”
What does this tell us? That no matter how beautiful your accommodation business is, half your potential guests will choose your competitor because they were not informed of what they can experience around your location. Imagine if your accommodation business became a source of information documenting local experiences, culture, gastronomy, and even capture unique local stories? You would immediately reach beyond the 3% of “ready-to-buy buyers” that 99% of your competitors target to now reaching the wider target market, i.e., the 97% of people who are in the market to buy in the near future. This is how you turn “lookers into bookers.”
To sum it up, make sure your website is mobile-friendly and then create blogs that position you as a local expert. If you want to get fancy, implement a Google Ads strategy that shows your articles tailored to the exact search phrases people are searching for on Google to directly intercept them (Google calls this the “zero moment of truth”) and bring them into your sales funnel. Combine this with tracking and an omnichannel marketing strategy and you will turn the 97% into 20-40% of actual buyers over the mere 3% that your competitors are targeting for their attention.”